Monday, July 31, 2006

No News Is

The problem with things going well is that it feels like there's no news to report. Which I'm sure indicates something about my personality and my issues with my mother.

Yesterday was perfect and that's all there is to it:

I woke up slightly sleep-deprived but for all the best reasons, and just ecstatic that the soul-crushing humidity had passed. I had a very productive morning cleaning the house and doing laundry, which meant that I could feel free to enjoy the rest of the day with no guilt about what I should be doing (except homework, of course, which I should always be doing but am not.)

Then my daughter, her little friend, and I spent a delicious couple of hours out at the Winter Cache farm in Cumberland (where we grow winter storage vegetables--squash, carrots, onions, potatoes, kolrahbi, kale, cabbage, beets--that are kept in a root cellar here in the city and then are distributed for free to participants throughout the winter). I got a huge bunch of kale that I am going to blanch and freeze this evening, and which will be thoroughly enjoyed in January. I also got that distinctive sunburn on my lower back that comes from weeding--where your shirt pulls up above your pants when you bend over--and I learned how to use a scuffle hoe. Which is more fun than humans should be having, really. Weeding is indescribably satisfying.

I picked up my girlfriend K at her job and, after an unintentional nap on the couch, we cooked an incredible supper of grilled chicken with homemade barbecue sauce, boiled new potatoes that I tossed with a fruity olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and cabbage stir-fried with garlic, onions, and tamari. There were also sliced fresh tomatoes, and then cherries for dessert. My daughter decided to be our waitress, and wanted us to pretend to be "snobby rich people eaters," which we did, with glee.

We made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go watch The Karate Kid, which was showing on the roof of a parking garage downtown, and sprawled on a sleeping bag in a cozy pigpile on the still-warm pavement there to see the movie.

Besides the perfection of the day, things are just going well in general. I'm heart-over-sense in love with K, and have just one month left of full-time work. I got child support (!!!) this week for the first time in a year, and I won a gift certificate to a local bike shop, with which I'm going to buy one of those things that attach to the back that your kid can ride on.

Joy, joy, joy.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive