Thursday, February 15, 2007

Two Things, and a Gift for You

Thing One:

I read this newspaper article today, and just had to share:

Teens Plowed into Snowbank, Stuck for Hours
Two Windham teenagers were trapped in a snowbank for more than six hours during Wednesday's blizzard after a plow truck smashed the snow cave they had built in a parking lot off Route 302.

Before my mom went crazy, back when I was a kid, I remember her yelling at me and my sister not to play in the snowbank at the end of our driveway. It was a very, very long dirt road, because we were woods-lovin hippies, and the plow truck driver would get up quite a bit of speed while pushing the snow into an enormous mountain at the end of the road. Of course, we didn't listen. Imagine a five/ten/twenty foot pile of snow that is off-limits to a couple of outdoorsy kids. No way. It made the cave seem slightly illicit, and dangerous, and therefore super fun.

Thing Two:

Our V-Day was nice. K and I decided not to celebrate--we got a little box of candy for S and called it good. Then we watched movies all day because of the nor'easter raging outside. We watched Cinderella III: A Twist in Time (guess who picked that one); A Prairie Home Companion; and Infamous (which is the other Truman Capote movie recently out). I also watched the beginning of High Fidelity but had to stop because of the intense John Cusack ridicule that was coming from my other half. Sometimes a day spent in front of the TV is therapeutic.

Then friends came over and we had an an anti-Valentine's dinner of crock pot baked beans and some authentic southern cornbread made by an authentic southerner. Sort of an east-coast-spanning meal, there. I got a little silly on port and fell asleep during the movie in front of all of our friends. It was awesome.



A Gift for You:

Well, if you menstruate, that is. Or if you know someone who does.

This year, to my dismay, I did not find a Slingshot organizer. The best thing about a Slingshot, besides its helter-skelter home-crafty design, is its Femstrual Cal in the front. So, I made one. (Being an Excel geek is good for some things) You can have one too, if you like. Happy V-Day. Love your reproductive organs and the blood that comes out of them.


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive