Sunday, January 20, 2008

Busy Weekend

New column up at The Bollard.

Also, I attended two public entertainment events this weekend: Saturday night I went to see Sweeney Todd, which was every bit as gory and dark and stripy as you could want any Tim Burton movie to be. And why haven't Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter gotten married and had pale, tangle-haired children yet?

Then today I went to see The Laramie Project, which was being performed near where I grew up. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have gone except that I was invited to be on a panel because of my job. The last time I saw the show I felt all soggy and sad for hours--like I'd been through some kind of ordeal. It's an incredibly moving show. This time was no different. Wrenching, I think I might call it. And now I'm so very tired... I'm glad I went, but I think it's the kind of thing I only want to do every couple of years. The show just makes concrete for me so many of the things I don't want to think about, like how fragile people's lives are, and how vulnerable being out and queer makes people, and that there are people in the world who hate people like me. That probably sounds funny, given that it's my job to be gay, and I'm about as out as a person could possibly be... but listening to the words of those people in that town gave me chills.

I might skip MLK Day events tomorrow and just stay in and make banana bread and chicken soup. I think I need to recharge after all that violence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I felt the same way--exhausted--after Sunday. Miles to go before we sleep. right.

And hey, thanks for warm ride home. I owe you. :>

Labels

Blog Archive