Monday, April 23, 2007

Happy Day-After-Earth-Day

K, S, and I spent a good part of the day yesterday at Portland's little Earth Day celebration.

I actually hate Earth Day. I have to resort to platitudes here, but seriously--every day is Earth Day. I mean it. I was sitting on the sidewalk at one point and overheard a bystander asking another person what was going on. When she heard it was Earth Day, she said, "Oh, great. Another thing to waste taxpayers' money on."

I was infuriated. Partly I wanted to point out that without the Earth she and her ignorant attitudes wouldn't exist at all. And partly I wanted to agree with her, because I'm not sure what free juice from Wild Oats and handcrafted jewelry have to do with Earth Day--and that's what the vendors were like. Nonprofit booths were shunted to the side and crammed around the edges. The music was too loud for people to talk to the folks staffing the nonprofits anyway. I didn't say anything to the woman.

The whole concept of Earth Day just pisses me off, but I'm a good greenie so I have to go. On the plus side, it was a beautiful day, and S got to practice her roller blading with some of the kickass Roller Derby Ladies.

So, in celebration of the Day-After-Earth-Day (when all of the folks who attended it have driven away in their SUV's to buy organic plastic wrap at Wild Oats), I thought I'd share this with you. It's a chart of which companies own which in the organic industry (via bec):

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive