Monday, October 30, 2006

This is Where We Used to Live

You know how it's really weird to go back to a place where you used to live and see how other people live there?

My first apartment in Portland was a weird little third-floor, three bedroom apartment near Maine Med. I lived there with my daughter (who was about 2 at the time) and two roommates.

It was blazing hot in the summer, had a leaky skylight and a problem with bazillipedes (if you live in Portland, you know which creepy-crawlies I'm talking about) and occasionally bats, but it was also the scene for our infamous Superhero Party (at which I made my Goatgirl debut). It was super cheap and super sketchy--the rent was paid in cash only and I never met the landlord. It's where I came out, where I met my best friend...

In today's newspaper is this picture of the building:

That's my old apartment you see there hanging out in the middle of the air. I used to sit in that window seat that's no longer there and watch my downstairs neighbors fight on the street. Those were the days...

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive