Friday, August 04, 2006

Pronounciation and Pop Culture

Perhaps this is the source of my segue/segway confusion.

From Kottke:
After Deam Kamen introduced his scooter, "segway" became a popular misspelling for "segue". Thirty years earlier, Thomas Pynchon used the same spelling in Gravity's Rainbow: "But segway into the Roxbury hillside."
It's like when I was at the district spelling bee in sixth grade, and I lost when I spelled raspberry R-A-Z-Z-B-E-R-R-Y because the company that made my shirt spelled it that way.

Segue/segway into book talk:
Gravity's Rainbow is one of two books that I began and never finished. Ulysses is the other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And suddenly I'm vindicated for blowing the fourth grade spelling bee with T-A-Y-L-O-R for tailor. Damn golf clubs.

Labels

Blog Archive